Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Introducing: Recipes Of Life

This new category is a love child of my friend Cat and me. I have posted recipes in some of my blog posts before, and planned on having a monthly column sharing more of my favorite recipes. While still in the earliest stage of development (say: it had crossed my mind once or twice), Cat suggested to add a column featuring favorite recipes and their stories. And here it is: Recipes of Life. Enjoy!
_____________________________________________________________________

Banana Pudding:
I have no idea while I crave it on occasion, I don't even like bananas. This recipe developed from a simple tiramisu recipe that I used to make when Richard and I were first married. Over time, ingredients were added and ingredients were dropped, and my banana pudding recipe emerged, that has not much in common with its tiramisu parent any more. Over the years this banana pudding has been a welcome dessert at D&D night or quick afternoon snack if I didn't feel like going out an buying muffins or wasn't able to wait until the chocolate cake is done baking. I remember one time I signed up to bring banana pudding to the parent group brunch, just to find said morning that Lily had eaten all the bananas the day before. I ended up making a banana-less banana pudding, which was still popular at the brunch. I will definitely keep this recipe close to my heart, and the ingredients readily available in my kitchen!

Ingredients:
3-5 bananas (depending on the size of the dish), thinly sliced
1 box of vanilla wafers
1 pack of vanilla or banana pudding
2c milk
1c coffee
whipped topping or whipped cream & chocolate powder and raspberries/blackberries for garnish

Prepare vanilla or banana pudding according to directions (usually 2c of milk). Spread vanilla wafers on bottom of casserole or pie dish, pour half of coffee over it and wait until liquid is soaked up. Put one layer of banana slices on top of the wafers and cover with half of the pudding. Repeat layers. Top with whipped topping/cream and garnish with chocolate powder and raspberries or blackberries, if desired.

This recipe also tastes really good with blackberries or other berries instead of the bananas, as the participants of the parent group brunch could find out.

If you have any ideas to improve or change the recipe, please feel free to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment