Monday, December 16, 2013

Modern Cooking - Cinnamon Stars

This cookie is one of the Germany classics, but I've never made it myself. I remember my mom making cinnamon stars once but I didn't care for them. When I was researching new cookies to try the last years and found cinnamon star recipes, I was just scared off my the idea of rolling the dough between two layers of plastic foil to be able to work the dough that is very sticky. No thank you!

This year I finally caved, and let me tell you, it's EASY! Not a mess at all, clean-up is a breeze, and the taste is simply heavenly!

Ingredients:
2 egg whites
1 pinch of salt
10 oz + 1 tbs powdered sugars
16 oz ground almonds
1 - 1 1/2 tbs cinnamon
1 tbs honey

glaze:
1 egg white
3.5 oz powdered sugar

Beat egg whites with salt very stiff. Add sugar and honey; beat until smooth and shiny. Fold in almonds and cinnamon. Let the dough sit for about 30 minutes. Cut a long piece of plastic foil; stick one half to the work surface with tape. Roll out dough in between the two layers of plastic foil to about 1/4 in. thick. Cut out with small cookie cutters (preferrable stars). Beat egg white for the glaze and stir in sugar. Ice the cookies with the glaze and bake at 300F for about 20 minutes (glaze should still be white and just start to take on color).

Let cool and try to store airtight in a cookie jar.


Enjoy!

Tip: if you like some extra spice, add a pinch of ground pink pepper.

8 comments:

  1. Totally just pinned and sounds delicious!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. It's really delicious. There's an artisan chocolaterie in our town where they sell dark chocolate with pink peppercorn. SO awesome!

      Delete
  3. These look and sound so yum! I love the taste of cinnamon at Christmas time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so yummy! Good for you for pushing yourself and trying something you were afraid to try before. That is what baking is all about. Thanks for linking up with recipe writers!

    Amanda Rose
    sewmuch2say.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Amanda! I'll definitely make them again, and may be a little bit more daring in the future :-)

      Delete