Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Weekend Recap - Thanksgiving Edition

Friday's visit by the tooth fairy was the start in a fun and busy weekend:

Saturday:
Thanksgiving Day for us here in Germany! I started baking and cooking around 9 am, as the night before I had an ingredient for the pumpkin pie missing and the stores were closed already. So I had an early start Saturday. The food turned out wonderfully and the greatest joy of that day was to share it with a bunch of wonderful friends. Around 8, the house emptied again, we could calm the girls down and put them to bed, clean up, and prepare the advent calendar for the girls.


Sunday:
I got up with the girls at 6:30 am. I cooked them old-fashioned oatmeal with apple sauce, let them open the first bag of their advent calendar (yes, until December 24, breakfast WILL include chocolate!!), and watched a fairy tale movie with them. I love those lazy Sunday mornings! We played some games, had lots of couples., and after lunch, we prepared for the fun activity of the day: decorating the gingerbread girls (and man) and the gingerbread house. Let me tell you, the girls took full advantage of the "eat all the candy you want now instead of dessert after dinner" compromise. Violet ate 9 pieces of candy for each one she put on the house and paid dearly for it with a tummy ache later. Dinner was easy with turkey sandwiches and pumpkin soup. Despite the sugar rush, the girls went to bed at their normal time and hubby and I got to have a little movie date on the couch, watching The Thing (yes, he loves to watch horror movies with me!!).



Little announcement: I have just gotten in a major translation project that is due Saturday (yay for holiday money!!), so you won't see much of me until after the deadline!

12 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly was, Pinky! Lot's of fun with great people, and the food was good, too :-)

      Delete
  3. Yay for the project giving you extra money at this time of the year and loved seeing your recap today. Just so happy for you though and sending extra good thoughts your way now!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Janine!! It was definitely hard work, scary to see how much I am out of training after not working on it in all these years, but it became easier every day. And I'm totally planning on spending every last penny of that pay check :-)

      Delete
  4. I used to love the excitement of advent calendars when I was a kid, and my son is just discovering them now. Making that gingerbread looks like so much fun! Good luck with your translation project! Do you translate written English into German?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got one from my friend again.. Still love it!! Last year, I got myelf one filled with a different type of tea for every day. Couldn't it this year though :-( I still remember Lily's first year with an advent calendar. The ways she tried to get more chocolate were glorious!!

      I was doing an English-German translation this time, but also do German-English translations.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the recap! Looks like you had a fun-filled weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much fun, Joy! I'm looking forward to that dinner for months every year :-)

      Delete
  6. Sounds like it was such a great weekend! Good luck on your translating project. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Susannah! It was a hard few days, but it's completed now :-)

      Delete