Thursday, February 6, 2014

Questions To Free Your Mind 1 - 10

Last year, Jenni over at Flying on a Rainbow did this 5-part questionnaire in preparation of turning the big 3-0. Being just a couple of weeks away from this milestone myself, I cheekily went over to steal it. If you like this questionnaire, please head over to Jenni's blog and read her answers!


1. How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?
People usually guess me around 25, a little older when I tell them the ages of our girls. I sometimes feel like 8, being a worry-free child for an hour or so; sometimes I feel like 50, enjoying my weekends on the couch, going to classical concerts, etc. Mostly, I guess I feel about the age I am.

2. Which is worse, failing or never trying?
Definitely never trying is worse. Yes, failing is not easy, and not fun, but it also can teach us so much. It can show us a way to achieve our goal on a second or third try. Not trying is giving up from the beginning.

3. If life is so short, why do we do so many things we don't like and like so many things we don't do?
Because life is life. Most people my age have responsibilities, bills to pay, and sometimes even other people to take care of. But I believe that doing the things I may not always fancy now (don't want to get up at 6 am tomorrow!!) will give us the freedom to do the things we like eventually.

4. When it's all said and done, will you have said more than you've done?
Always. I try to follow up with my promises, but I do admit that I sometimes do forget, or life simply happens.

5. What is the one thing you'd most like to change about the world?
Wars, hunger, pain. There is the potential for everyone to live happy, but they are not, and that is a very sad thing. Children dying from disease and malnutrition while their parents have no opportunity to help them. Things like that should not happen, and it breaks my heart knowing that they do.

6. If happiness was the national currency, what kind of work would make you rich?
Translating books and spending much, much time with my family.

7. Are you doing what you believe in, or are you settling for what you are doing?
Well, being a hippie at heart, working for a large international corporation, have a lucky guess. But I'm a realist, so I am happy with the job I have because it provides for the family and I actually enjoy my work.

8. If the average human life span was 40 years, how would you live your life differently?
Would that mean I'd got to retire soon?? I would definitely not save as much for "later in life", therefore work less and spend more time with the family.

9. To what degree have you actually controlled the course your life has taken?
Well, the things I could control, I did as best as I could (can you say control freak??). I persued my school and college. I earned a second degree, getting a job that fulfills me. And I am very lucky with the things I could not control, like love and having a family.

10. Are you more worried about doing things right, or doing the right things?
Probably doing the right things. Especially with raising kids, it's so difficult to always know what's right. So we're going with what feels right.

10 comments:

  1. I love your attitude with question #3. I've tried to teach my own kids that very valuable lesson and life hack..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot! It may be sad, but to be honest, I do enjoy my job. Of course, I'd rather work less, be home more, do more what I feel like doing, but that's not how life works. We're also teaching our kids that it's not always possible to do what we want, but what we need to do. Hope you have a great weekend, Mimi!

      Delete
  2. I'm with you- I'm 30 but sometimes I feel like I'm 22 and sometimes I feel like I'm 50!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So weird, isn't it?? But I think it's great to be the age I am :-)

      Delete
  3. These are great answers. I especially love your answer to Q2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenni! I loved you answer to that question as well. :-)

      Delete
  4. I loved turning 30 - what a great time! This is a great questionnaire - very thought-provoking. What a cool thing to do before hitting that big 3-0, any other big-0, or really anytime. I especially like the first one - I can live everywhere from 10 year old boy to old fart. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I sometimes listen to coworkers, even older ones who don't have kids, talking about partying the weekends away, attending extravagant events, etc. while I'm just happy to sit on my couch, I definitely feel old and boring :-)

      Delete
    2. I could never party the weekends away...too much effort for this homebody. Fear not - I'll be over here on my couch right with you!

      Delete
    3. I certainly had my time as a major party girl, and I'm glad I could party back then, so I don't miss a thing at all :-)

      Delete