Monday, November 3, 2014

Why Halloween?

Halloween is not a traditional German holiday, but it's definitely getting established here. I still remember the first trick-or-treaters at my parents' house, when I was a teenager and suggested in this very teenager-mood to just throw a bucket of water down on them.

Today, we live in a rather small community and have been going out trick-or-treating with our (now former) neighbors all those past four years. And I thoroughly enjoy heading out with our group of little scary creatures walking the night (ok, early evening) for an hour or two, meeting other groups on the way, catch some people off guard at their door, and - as the highlight - stop by at the town's best "haunted house" (in my opinion). I don't think that I get the girls to walk for that amount of time without complaining any other day in the year.

But still the best thing about Halloween is the candy. Yes, I admit it without shame, I do eat our girls' Halloween candy when they are in bed.

Source

4 comments:

  1. Haha I love that saying...too funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually hate Reese's, but it's the sentiment that counts. I'm totally stealing my favorites :-)

      Delete
  2. That quote is hysterical! Glad you guys are able to trick or treat!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually have a lot more fun here than we used to have in the States. I'm glad that the tradition is now more or less established here as well and the girls can enjoy this part of the U.S. fall tradition!

      Delete