Sunday, June 28, 2015

Week In Review - Ten Things Of Thankful (106)


Ten Things of Thankful


I've been busy this week, and therefore not very active on the internets.  I've fixed Lily's dress for the wedding, prepared the gift, pre-packed for our overnight stay near Frankfurt (still a little bit frantic about travelling with all three kids), and tried to not go to bed too late. It has been a good week indeed, even though I'm glad that it's over and we're safely back with all the kiddos.

My ten most thankfuls of this week:

1. After one week of nearly non-stop rain, it has finally stopped and the kiddos stormed outside to play.

2. All the rain made our yard look all nice and green. And the weeds also grew like crazy, so I got to get my hands and fingernails dirty with a little spontaneous weeding session.

3. Watching Violet's self-confidence explode. For the longest time, she's been our little insecure little bird, always checking people's reaction regarding her. In the last months, she learned how to ride a bike, she's become a little fish in the water, just about to earn her early swimmer's badge. She's getting defiant, and sassy, and stubborn, and truth to be told, even though she's driving me nuts sometimes, I love it!!

4. Getting to witness two wonderful people pledging their love and their lives to each other. It was a nice wedding and an even better party afterwards. The weather was perfect for the indoor/outdoor reception they had planned.

5. Booking a room in a beautiful, family-run hotel rather than a big chain hotel. We and another friend of ours who was invited to the wedding were the only guests, the hosts kept the breakfast buffet up until almost noon and we could check out late because it's been quite late (or early??) when the guys came back from the wedding.

6. Having very nice weather today, so we could make a quick stop at a local reconstructed Roman fort before heading back home.

7. A last asparagus dish made from local asparagus. I refuse to buy imported asparagus, and June 24 was officially the last day asparagus was harvested here in Germany. Now, the waiting begins for next year.

8. A fun barbecue with my co-workers. Almost all the 2014-babies from my work were present and the little ones had so much fun getting to know each other, even though there were confused looks on the babies' faces when yet ANOTHER baby showed up..

9. Getting compliments on allowing Calvin to sit on the ground and dig in the dirt. The older lady was so excited about it, obviously it's a rare sight nowadays here in Germany.

10. An early bed-time today to recover from the weekend  :-)

Good night, everyone, and have a wonderful week!

20 comments:

  1. Pouring in my neck of the woods at the moment. But I don't mind. Gives me a chance to hibernate and catch up. This post makes me want to go to a wedding. I haven't been to one in years. Soon enough, though, they'll be another round of them with lots of nieces and nephews now reaching their mid twenties. I like your stance on asparagus. Shows spunk. Violet must get it from you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the "spunk" :-) Not many weddings happening here either; in the last ten years, we've been to four weddings, including our own.. But I love weddings, can't get enough of them!!

      Enjoy your hibernating, Julie!

      Delete
  2. We've had a ton of rain here - not the usual way of things this time of year. I think every day I get a bit of dirt under my nails because I can't resist pulling a weed or 30 whenever I look at my gardens.

    I love watching children blossom under their own capabilities. I hope Violet continues to do so - even as she's challenging her mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite honestly, I don't mind Violet resisting and challenging. For the longest time, she's been the one being led on by everyone around her, and finally she's finding her place and feels comfortable enough to say "no". Looking forward to Violet earning her Early Swimmer's badge! Not too much longer now!

      Have a great weekend, Vanessa!

      Delete
  3. I keep thinking of violet as a little fish on a bicycle! hahahahah! Although she is far more useful than the old adage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Violet is just my little birdie.. Maybe one of these birdies that can dive into the water and catch fish :-) She's just so skinny and tall..

      Hope you have a great weekend, Ivy!

      Delete
  4. excellent! (the letting Calvin have the honest-to-goodness fun of playing in the dirt!) (Not having children, I can just imagine what prohibitions there must be on all the fun things I recall as a child…still some things are just plain good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a movement of keeping all the evil germs in this world (i.e. ALL germs) away from their kids. I'm not playing this game! All our kids have played in the dirt. All of them have eaten dirt, and all of them are healthy as can be, don't have allergies, asthma, or any other chronic disease linked to a weak immune system. Tells me we're doing something right here :-)

      Enjoy your weekend, Clark!

      Delete
  5. We've had an endless supply of rain here, too, plus we get that horrid humidity with it. Cool and rainy would be good about now; instead, we get a sauna!
    Good for Violet for coming out of her shell! She's just been watching and taking notes all this time!
    My kids never got to dig in our yard, because we have lead in our soil (true story). Emma could have cared less about doing it, but Kyle dug at my parents' lake house every time we were there and the weather allowed. The ground there is very sandy, so it's easy to dig. He would dig a big hole in the yard with his toy backhoe, dump it into a toy dump truck, and then put it in a pile. Before we would leave to go home, he did it all in reverse!
    Glad you had such a good week! Hope the same is true for this upcoming one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, we wouldn't allow the kids to dig in farmland soil or any other dangerous places either, but a good-old playground or beer garden is fine :-)

      We're now having quite a heat wave, high 90s all week long, most likely until at least mid-next week. Not really my thing, I'm fine with low 80s for the summer :-)

      Enjoy your weekend, Dyanne!

      Delete
  6. I love rain (even when we've had quite a bit) and love how it washes the world (and sometimes the soul) clean. Beautiful.
    Little girls' confidence blooming? Yes!
    Hope your week is wonderful. Have a good sleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had quite a good week, with not as much sleep as I may have hoped. Poor baby teething again, and taking it as hard as with the first teeth..

      I love rain, too, because it means I don't have to water the lawn. But I also like sunshine, because we have solar panels on our roof :-)

      I hope you have a wonderful weekend, Lisa!

      Delete
  7. I have to say that it's so nice when rain comes and helps out the grass, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely. Everything looked so lush afterwards. Unfortunately, the weeds did, too! :-)

      Have a wonderful weekend, Jen!

      Delete
  8. Sassy, defiant Violet sounds AWESOME, and I'm glad she's had an explosion of confidence, especially if you've been worried about her.

    Nothing like dirt under the fingernails when you haven't been able to garden for a while. Hope your rain's over for some SUMMER now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sassy, defiant Violet IS awesome, even if she's standing her ground against me. How could I not love her for it?

      We have more summer than I asked for right now, 35°C+ for the last week, going on 40°C this weekend, yikes. But this means high-time for our solar panels :-)

      Have a great weekend, Lizzi!

      Delete
  9. Go, Violet. Ah....no shrinking Violet any longer. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely agree. She's blossoming right now, my beautiful little flower!

      Thanks for stopping by, May, and have a great weekend!

      Delete
  10. Ugh! I hate weeds!! Other than that and the rain it sounds like a pretty good week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow, weeding can be quite meditative. I enjoy a spontaneous weeding session. But I do need to go and finish mulching the front yard. Right now, it just looks unfinished and weird..

      Have a great weekend!

      Delete